Friday, March 04, 2005

In Defense of Eli

In my comments section, the actual Rod said, " did you guys know that eli is actually a hardcore republican? not just republican, he's enamoured with bush...an ARAB self-hater. i want to crack open his head with my nalgene."
Let me point out where Eli is coming from. First of all, he's Christian, so he's obviously more inclined to be pro-American and pro-Western. Second, he comes from Lebanon, a country that was wracked by civil war for almost 20 years and has been occupied by Syria for almost 30 years (obviously you know this rod, I'm just putting it out there) and he has seen friends and relatives of his die at the hands of Islamic terrorists - so when he perceives Bush doing something that most people would agree has had at least SOME positive effect on the Middle East (despite what you and I obviously recognize as all the negatives of the lives lost and the torture and the lies), he supports it. Third, there is often a tendency for immigrants from third-world countries who have succeeded in America to be very pro-American. For all these reasons and more, I still like Eli and his adoration of Bush makes sense given his background.
ALSO, if you want a discount on falafel, tell Eli that you voted for Bush.

6 comments:

the actual rod said...

I knew he was Christian, but I wasn't sure whether he was Greek Orthodox or Maronite (the two Christian Lebanese groups); do you happen to know? Oh, that's right, he wouldn't tell you about that because that would make him seem like more of an Arab. "Christian" sounds a lot whiter...either way, you do make an obviously very valid point that I should consider the source before hatin on someone...

And I had. Do you know why Syria invaded Lebanon? Because people like him (Christians) controlled the country through a fascist government that was exterminating Palestinian refugees and Lebanese Muslims (Shi'i and Sunni, typically the Druze minority was fairly well off)...and when I say fascist, this time I mean it literally; their party was called "the Phalangists" (after Franco's party/army). Anyway, Syria invaded not to help the Muslims, as you'd probably think, but the Christians. By June '76, the civil war was clearly in the hands of the Muslims, and it was only then that Syria invaded and imposed a 'cease-fire' during which thousands of Palestians and Lebanese Muslims were massacred by Phalangist forces.

He doesn't need your defense. All Christian Arabs are self-haters, and he sees Bush not as good for the Middle East, but as bad for Arabs. And that's what he likes.

the actual rod said...

Either that or he much more innocent as you say and just painfully, painfully stupid. But even I don't think Arabs are that retarded/blind.

Dan said...

Well I did not know all of that intricate history. Thanks for the lesson, and I guess although I still like Eli personally, I can certainly see why you call him a self-hating Arab fascist.

the actual rod said...

he is quite genial.

Anonymous said...

he has quiet genitals

Anonymous said...

the actual rod has cheesy discharge coming from a Candida Albicans infection in his vagina. Maybe we should exterminate that.