Saturday, April 09, 2005

Kendo

Went to the gym today to play basketball and I walked past a group of teenagers in a Kendo class. For those of you not in the know, Kendo is the art of Japanese fencing (pictured below). Imagine 50 kids just like the kid pictured below hitting the shit out of each other with wooden sticks while yelling monosyllabic Japanese words. When a few of them took their helmets off, I realized that all of them were either ROTC-type white kids or humongous Asians. I think the requirement for the class was that you'd killed someone with your bare hands or you'd participated in a school shooting. In any case, I'm pretty sure these guys were training for World War III or for some sort of fascist overthrow of the U.S. Government. I couldn't help but wonder how a parent could say to herself, "Kendo- that'll be a nice healthy activity for young Heinrich."

1 comment:

the actual rod said...

haha, young heinrich