Saturday, May 07, 2005

Affirmative Action

In my younger days, when I was a well-qualified candidate for college and anything else, I wholeheartedly supported affirmative action. I was above being on the margin for any college/job decision. But now that I am clinging to even being marginal, I can't stand affirmative action. You mean some hard-working Eskimo who's gotten no breaks in life is going to take a spot from my lazy privileged ass? Not on my watch. That goes for all the major minorities- Eskimos, Native Americans, Hmong. You've benefited enough. It's time to put an end to the "soft bigotry of low expectations." I have no idea what that means, but it's a great Bush catch phrase.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom "Eskimo Clark" Lehman... Any wonder he got into Yale?

Nostradamus said...

"Er zweite Grund für die Krise der Germanistik in den USA liegt in der Entwicklung der Cultural Studies - von Harold Bloom boshaft die "Eskimo-Lesbian-Studies" genannt." -Nostradamus Quotes a German Site On Harold Bloom's famously amusing term for Cultural Studies, "Eskimo Lesbian Studies." Why I felt the need to contribute this remains unclear.

Thomas said...

I think affirmative action must be why I didn't get into Princeton's medical school. It has to be the reason. Never mind the fact that I didn't even apply there. And that I didn't want to go to medical school.