Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Who Ever Loved, That Loved Not at First Sight?

Sorry for so long an absence dear readers. I have spent the past fortnight in cross-Atlantic transit after a long Autumn and Winter Season in Reykjavik. Never mind what I was doing there, know only this: before embarking on my journey home, I encountered a weary, old man. He told me of how he barely escaped his slavery as a chef for one DANIEL MUNZ!

His story: Chef X hid for three days under a mountain of oyster shells before he could make his way up the North Atlantic Seaboard and onto a Barnacle-ridden trawler headed for Europe. Before the chef and I parted ways, he bequeathed to me a thick book of poetry. He told me that it was his master's most sacred object. How, after every supper, "Master Munz" would retreat to his den to record his thoughts. The book was replete with beautiful prose, but reeked of garlic and stains from oily fingertips... but one poem stood out above all others...

Dedicated to our readers of the fairer sex, I bring to you on this Valentine's Day the most treasured of Munz's Sonnets,

Sonnet 141: La Belle Dame Sans Merci

O, shrimp doth teach the torches to burn bright!
With thy buttery goodness upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in a lover's ear;
Succulence made from thy passion, for earth too dear!
The tender morsel here I take in my trembling hand,
And smell the aroma, so far from bland.
Did my mouth water till now? Forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er tasted true Scampi till this night.

4 comments:

Tom said...

single slow tear

William Carlos Williams said...

A
Sonnet
Has 14
Lines

But
this one
Was delicious
And so
garlicky

Rich said...

he's back baby! maybe eric's return will inspire a new torrent of creativity and action in the blogosphere?

oh, did munz ever consummate his love affair with shrimp scampi?

Antagonist said...

I ate Shrimp Scampi today for lunch.

It was garlicky

and cold.