Saturday, August 04, 2007

American yuppie, thy name is Cowardice

And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
Genesis 4:9


If I am not for myself, who will be? If I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?
Pirkei Avot 1:14

So my friend Peter sent me a really funny video today on Youtube, from a TV show on the Sci-Fi network called Scare Tactics. If you haven't seen the show already... the basic idea is that so-called "accomplices" take their friends on certain activities, like going to the tanning salon, camping trips, or get them jobs as entertainers, etc. While the accomplices are in on the jokes, the friends, of course, are not. Each episode positions the "friend" in an extremely scary situation, where their death seems imminent. Hilarity ensues. Here's my point: I am appalled by how quickly people bail on their friends. That said, if I were in the same situation, I have no idea how I would respond, so perhaps I am judging them too harshly. However, in each instance, whether it was an alien abduction, Big Foot murdering people, or an escaped gorilla, every person that was being filmed had COMPLETE disregard for the welfare of their companion. Judge for yourself, how would you respond?





Here are two more examples:

Big Foot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlrU-BKk3lM

Gorilla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW-vQr7wcFM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Scare Tactics... you should have seen the log I "forgot" to flush this morning...