Friday, May 04, 2007

Another LA Treat, kind of

I have a confession to make... I am such a political junkie that I watched part of the Republican Presidential Debate last night with no sound and no closed captioning. I just wanted to see Tommy Thompson gesticulating THAT badly.

But I'm not the only junkie around the blogosphere. When I was staying with him in LA, AG and I got up extra early to watch Attorney General Alberto Gonzales (AG AG - interesting) testify before the Senate. Here is a poem I wrote inspired by those events:

Twas the night before Alberto Gonzales's testimony, when all through the house
Not a gadget was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the TV with care,
In hopes that Alberto soon would be there, live via satellite from Washington, DC.

The bloggers were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of Monica Goodling danced in their heads.
And AG in his ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long spring's nap.

When right on the TV there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Close to the screen I flew like a flash,
Turned the volume up high and my joint i ashed.

The California sun made the plants outside grow,
giving the lustre of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But the Attorney General, his face full of fear.

His eyes darted around, so lively and fast,
I knew in a moment it must be the White House Counsel from the past.
More rapid than eagles his inquisitors they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Leahy! now, Feingold! now, Kohl and Cardin!
Now Feinstein! Now, Schumer! Now Kennedy and Biden!
I'm giving my best, my best effort to stall!
But please stop your questions, please stop them all!"

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as smooth as the snow.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He sprang to his SUV, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Merry Senate Testimony to all, and to all a good-night!"

1 comment:

Actual God said...

that is just crazy