Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Hardest Working Man in Show Business Award

The Hardest Working Man in Show Business Award goes to Nostradamus, who finds the time not only to blog every day, but also to comment on all the blogs in our "ring" and to play a mean bass guitar. The runner up was of course famed celebrity impersonator RICH LITTLE.

Now there are several ridiculous things about Rich Little's web page. First of all, half of the celebrities he impersonates are dead or irrelevant to anyone under the age of 70. I'm sure people stop Rich on the street all the time and say, "Do Perry Como! No, wait, actually do W.C. Fields!" Also, although he says the catch phrases of the bigger celebrities, like John F. Kennedy's "I am, uh, John Kennedy. Ask nawt what yoar country can do for you, but what you can do for yoar country," for lesser ones like Robert F. Kennedy, he just comments on the person's voice--"I am, eh, Robuht Kennedy. My voice is, eh, a little bit softah than my brothah's"-- real imaginitive, Rich. Then there's the fact that some of his impersonations are just awful, like the Danny DeVito or the Rodney Dangerfield-- they sound like my dad trying to do a funny voice for me when I was five.
Finally, the coup de gras, Rich Little's (almost) one-man play, The Presidents. The description's "money quote" [Finnegan has me in a full nelson and is making me write in geeky BlogSpeak]:

In this poignant drama, Little becomes, with uncanny accuracy, all nine presidents from John F. Kennedy to George W. Bush.

Insightful, touching, and at times hilarious, this theatrical journey through America's last forty years preserves a deep respect for the Oval Office, while dramatically reflecting changes in our country, our culture and ourselves.

1 comment:

Nostradamus said...

I'm touched. Truly touched. Kudos gentlemen. To you, I raise my glass of olive oil!